55 in a Danville Car Co builder photo in 1908
Cairo's streetcar system operated under a variety of names (Cairo Street Railway, Cairo Railway and Light System, and Cairo Electric and Traction). There also was an interurban that operated north to Mound City and Mounds named the Cairo and St. Louis Railway between Mound City and Mounds, the interurban leased the Illinois Central Railroad freight tracks.
In 1923, the Illinois Power and Light Corporation took over everything, and eventually obtained some used Birneys from other Illinois Power properties before the system was bused in 1931.
Courtesy the Bill Volkmer collection