Click to go back Back
Chicago
Chicago and Interurban Traction
Click to go forward Forward
The Engelwood and Chicago Street Railway was incorporated in February 1893 and built several small south and southwest side lines in Chicago (from the Engelwood Elevated at 63rd Street)(and leased them initially to the Calumet Electric Street Railway to operate).

The system was extended south to Blue Island using battery streetcars, but because of financial problems, the company was in receivership in 1896. The Chicago Electric Traction Company (CET) took over in October 1897. The battery cars were extended to Harvey in July 1899, but battery cars beame too undependable and overhead was installed, leading to financial problems and receivership in July 1901. The Chicago and Southern Traction Company (CandST) was incorporated in November 1904 with plans to build an interurban line from Chicago south to Kankakee, Illinois, and further southeast to Lafayette, Indiana. In 1905, the CandST purchased the CandET. Service was gradually extended to Kankakee by November 1907. However the CandST was greatly overextended and receivership came in October 1910.

The Chicago and Interurban Traction Company was incorporated in Febuary 1912, taking over all trackage outside Chicago in March 1912 (all trackage in the City of Chicago went to the Chicago City Railway Company). CandIT Iinterurban service continued from the south side Engelwood Elevated Station at 63rd and Halsted (trackage in Chicago was leased along with the shops at 88th and Vincennes) to Kankakee. Receivership came in October 1922 (the fourth since 1893) because of automobiles/concrete highways and the sparse population served between Crete and Kankakee.

In order to bail out the line and recoup an unpaid utility bill, Samuel Insull took over and an attempt was made to generate additional freight revenue, which was successful for 1-2 years (even several sections of track were rebuilt) before truck competition and more concrete highways took over.

However, with the Illinois Central Railroad announcing in the mid 1920s that it was elevating its parallel main line trackage (eliminating all street grade crossing) under the terms of the Chicago "Lake Front" Ordinance and electrifying its "high speed" suburban service that operated almost at a straight line into downtown Chicago, the CandIT determined its system was doomed (its passenger service would not be able to compete) and raising money for further improvements would be impossible. Thus, all service was abandoned on April 23, 1927.

Shown here, a Chicago and Interurban Traction 1915 built Kuhlman (the newest and only steel car) interurban 35 on a charter run (note the white flag) carrying a banner labeled ENGLEWOOD ECONOMIST SPECIAL at an unknown location in the early 1920s
Caption data from Stephen Scalzo; photo courtesy the Bill Volkmer collection

usr_m_stii_chiinttrac_035_chicago-charter_ss+bv_cit01.jpg

Click to go Back Click to go Forward



Back to Chicago and Interurban Traction
Back to Illinois
Back to www.newdavesrailpix.com