Back
|
South Bartonville
Peoria and Pekin Terminal Railway
|
Forward
|
Interurbans 55 and 102 at the Powerhouse, Office, Carbarn and Shop in South Bartonville shortly after passenger service began operating.
The Peoria and Pekin Terminal Railway Company began operating electric interurbans on Dec 14 1899 from Hamilton and Adams Street in Peoria south to South Bartonville (where the company's office, shop and powerhouse was located). Service was extended to Pekin on April 3, 1900.
The company went into receivership because of financial problems on Oct 17 1906, and was reorganized on Dec 17 1906 as the Peoria Railway Terminal Company and sold under foreclosure on Feb 9, 1907 to the Chicago Rock Island and Pacific Railroad and the Chicago and Alton Railroad.
When the CandA went into bankruptcy on Aug 3 1922, the CRIandP took over completely. Outside of street trackage in Peoria, freight service was operated strictly by steam locomotives. The last electric passenger train operated on Aug 31 1924 due to the completion of a paved highway from Peoria to Bartonville and Pekin which greatly reduced patronage in favor of the automobile.
Afterwards, the line became strictly a freight carrier (however there was a short lived limited steam passenger service to local coal mines before the supply was exhausted). The line continued to operate as a freight line under CRIandP ownership (strictly using CRIandP diesels after 1953) until the CRIandP failed in 1980, after which the CandNW was the high bidder for all remaining trackage in the Peoria area. The remaining Pekin freight trackage at the Corn Products Plant was purchased by the Peoria and Pekin Union Railway.
Courtesy the Stephen Scalzo collection