#1 in a Niles Car Co. builder photo
That company was the name of the original interurban line that was constructed north out of Rockford into Wisconsin.
On Sep 16 1902 the Elgin and Belvidere interurban line (to the east of Rockford) was consolidated with the Rockford Railway and Power Company to form the Rockford and Interurban Railway (RandI).
The Freeport interurban line (to the west of Rockford) was acquired by the RandI on Aug 31 1904, and on Apr 1 1906 the Rockford Beloit and Janesville was purchased by the RandI.
The RandI system operated until the Depression (which resulted in decreased ridership), automobiles/paved highways, and light construction resulted in abandonment of the entire system during 1930 and 1931.
Under the name Rockford Public Service Company, the remaining city streetcar operations continued until Jul 4 1936, when the remaining lines were replaced with buses.
Caption data from Stephen Scalzo; photo courtesy the Bill Volkmer collection