Click to go back Back
Kewanee
Galesburg and Kewanee Electric Railway
Click to go forward Forward
7 in a Kuhlman builder photo.

When incorporated, the company proposed building a 31-mile system between Kewanee and Galesburg. The Kewanee local system began operating on Jul 9 1903 (and expanded over the next few years), and the 8.3 mile interurban line southwest to Galva began operating on Dec 6 1906. However, nothing further was built, and by Aug 1923 the company was placed into receivership and service suspended on Oct 20 1923.

The Kewanee Public Service Company (KPSC) took over everything and reconstructed all of the local streetcar trackage,

Interurban service resumed on Sep 3 1924 and local Kewanee service resumed on Nov 29 1924 after six single-truck second-hand Birney streetcars were received from Detroit. On Sep 26 1926, the North American Light and Power Company purchased the KPSC.

Automobiles, concrete highways and isolation doomed the interurban line, and the last car operated on Dec 31, 1932.

Decreased revenue because of the Deptression resulted in the local Kewanee streetcars being replaced with buses on Dec 15 1935
Caption data from Stephen Scalzo; photo courtesy the Bill Volkmer collection

usr_m_stii_galekewa_007_builder+photo_ss+bv_gk01.jpg

Click to go Back Click to go Forward



Back to Galesburg and Kewanee Electric Railway
Back to Illinois
Back to www.newdavesrailpix.com